Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer reboots on shutdown, will not shutdown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelee

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
US
A friend has an older system, running win98. Although she chooses the shutdown dialog, the computer will go to reboot. She has not been able to get the machine to shutdown on it's own. It may be a motherboard issue (its 5 yrs old).
Any comments would be appreciated.
TIA
Joelee

Some things to check...

- BIOS Settings
I believe some BIOS's have settings that allow for this. Perhaps, the "PnP OS" setting?

- Advanced Power Management
This has been known to prevent a shutdown from the OS.

I am sure there are other items that others will mention. Hope it helps.

Gary
gwinn7

There is a shutdown patch.
I had the same experience with a Cirix Processor based system a few months ago, the patch did cure the problem. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

go to Start-->Run-->"msconfig" and disable (exclude)Config.sys and Autoexec.bat from startup, this solved MY problem with computer not shuting down.

Also, Goto msconfig and remove and statup programs rining in the backround, then restart and shutdown...if the computer shutsdown, then it is a device conflict possibly.

I have used these methods in the past and they have worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back