Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer reboots itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
Would there be a reason why a computer would reboot itself?. The system is a Gateway 733Mhz FSB 66Mhz?, 10Gb h/d, 191Mb ram, and win98 se. The system has been completely formatted and win 98 se re-installed, and norton antivirus 2002 installed (with updated def file), but every so often the computer reboots itself, I think it could be because of the 66Mhz FSB, which should be 100Mhz x 7.

I have a 350mHz w/100mHz FSB......which is about appropriate as the FSB is where all the traffic jams occur........It sounds like you're PC may be experiencing overHeating issues......
Does it reboot after a cold startup........say after 2 hrs and Then again after 1 hr and again after 1/2 hr?????

I would probably atleast open up the case, and clean out the dust and crud from the fans and such.......
If that doesn't do it......you may need to install a new Heat sink for the CPU........also check the Power Supply fan to make sure that, and the case fan (if any) are functioning

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

this is irrelevant to win98 and should be posted in the general hardware forum.

This may be a hardware issue (monst likely IMO) - as well as TekTippy4U's suggestion, any hardware problem could cause this behaviour (I'd try using each memory stick on its own to start checking this) - but it could also be a problem (probably driver) with 98 (I'll not blame it on Norton, like I usually do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back