Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Computer' property window closes immediately when trying to open it 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geralf1

Technical User
Oct 5, 2009
NO
Hi,

I'm new to Vista, so please forgive me if this is 'dumb' questions.

I have a laptop which I can't do the following with:

1) If I right click 'Computer', select 'Properties', I can see the property window opens, but closes almost immediately by its self?

2)If I try to select 'Windows Update', you also see the browser window open, but closes immediately also?

3)
If I go to 'Control Panel', double click 'User Accounts', nothing happens?

If I go to 'Computer Management', I dont find 'Local Users and Groups' any place?

The laptop seems to work OK otherwise.

Could anyone please assist me in these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Gerhard

Home versions do not have Users and Groups in MMC.

User Accounts in Vista Home Premium?

See if you can start the actual Applet for users without going through the Control Panel?

Short introduction into Windows Vista Control Panel:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

With all your faults have you tried creating or using another Admin user and seeing whether he has a problem? Maybe you can create it in Safe Mode if you can't in Normal Mode? The first link should also supply details of how to enable the built-in Administrator in case you want to use that.

Maybe your profile is corrupted beyond repair.

Fix a corrupted user profile

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista

System File Checker and System Restore are options too.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Thank you very much linney for a very informative post.

I found the solution to my problem, searching Google. It seemed that several others have had the same problem, but no solution was found. I finally came across a posting which had the solution - install SP2. This fixed the problem. I have learnt a lot from your post though, and I think this can help others as well.

Thank you for yoour time and information.

Best Regards
Gerhard

Glad to contribute. Thanks for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back