Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Organization course - looking for assembly language sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFI

Programmer
Apr 27, 1999
US
Hello everyone.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm just starting a computer organization course and I'm pretty excited (I'm a geek... I know!).&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm looking forward to learning some assembly language, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>We're using <u>Computer Organization:&nbsp;&nbsp;A Top-Down Approach</u> by Greg Scragg.&nbsp;&nbsp;So far, the text looks good.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I was wondering if anyone has other sources they would recommend.<br><br>Also, where does one find the specifics regarding one's own computer and the assembly language commands it understands?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>--LookingForInfo<br>(David)

I do not know other sources or classes for you to go through, but I do know where you can find the codes you processors understand. It's in a handy item called a blue book. In this book it contains all of the machine codes and ASM equivalent and gives a brief description. In order to get the rite book you must know what type of processor you have though. Also I have looked all over the place for it, but have never succesfully got it, if you do find it please tell me where you got it from so that I can get it too.

I use <u>PC Interrupts</u> by Ralf Brown & Jim Kyle. The book is probably out of print and obviously out of date (it contains only a few obscure references to some program called &quot;Windows&quot;) but you would be surprised to learn how little the low level calls have changed over the years.<br><br>If you see <i>any</i> book referencing BIOS, DOS or third-party calls, I recommend that you buy it now. You may not be able to find it tomorrow. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back