Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer or share name could not be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmbob

MIS
Sep 26, 2000
US
I have a Windows 95 workstation ver 4.00.950a. I am trying to map a drive to a nt 4.0 standalone server. I can ping the server. When I try to map a drive using the ip address and the share name I get the following error: Computer or share name could not be found. I can map a drive on from a workstation that has Win 95 version 4.00.950b. Does anybody know of a patch or fille that I can get to enable me to map the drive? Thanks. [sig][/sig]

I had a similar problem trying to map a drive from an NT workstation to an NT server. It turned out to be a permissions problem. the user name I logged on the NT workstation did not have permission to map a drive to that particular server.

You could either change the groups your win 95 user has or change the permissions on the NT workstaion you need to map a drive to.

You're for New Jersey, what exit? Norbert@exit109.com [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back