Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer no response 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
CA
i need a second head to help me think

a Baby ATX computer will turn on with power to hd and cd rom, but no beeps, no monitor, the video card is onboard, i am able to turn it off thru the switch, i don't know what is going on, any one have any idea ?

thx

Flush the BIOS with the jumper...
Try removing, cleaning and reseating everything...little at a time...try the POST after each round...look up the motherboard manual (so you can find the jumpers to flush with) and hope you start getting beeps.
Check the battery for low voltage (probably labeled with what to expect) (also another way to flush if you can't find the jumpers...leave it out overnite)
Try hitting the insert key when the post messages are coming thru...
Replace parts in it with others you know are good...ram...CPU...whatever you have...

I'm not really sure I understand your question. I am reading it that you are asking how to get the video and monitor to display something, or beep to give you an error you can do something with. If this is wrong, please try and rephrase the question if you can ;)

There are a few things to try. Isolation is your friend. Firstly try a different monitor (if available) or try the monitor on another machine. If it's working fine, then move on. Try turning the video off on the motherboard, and plug in any video card (that you know works), and see if you get something on there. Make sure your monitor is fine though, or you wont be able to tell. By doing this, you have isolated both the monitor, and non-onboard video.

Most motherboards beep once if everything is fine, right around POST (some before some after). If your machine isn't beeping at all, it could mean a problem. (probably an error it doesn't have a beep code for though).

Other things to try (independantly, to make sure you know what fixes the problem):
Ram (Different ram and/or different slot)
Power Supply (Different P/S and/or that P/S in another system)

Another thing to do is take out EVERY card, and unplug EVERY cable (including HDD, FDD, Sound) so the machine only has enough parts to boot. I have in the past seen a faulty cable stop a machine from booting. It actually did exactly what is happening to you.

If you still get no joy, your motherboard is probably busted in some fashion. See about getting a warranty, and if you documented your fault finding path (it's a good idea) you can give that to the people you are getting a warranty through, usually speeding up the process of you getting a new one.

Hope this helps.

Usually power, M/B, or CPU. Low voltage or CPU can go out and leave the HD & CDR powering up like you have.
Most boards will process to an error beep with bad memory.
Would probably guess that it is the low voltage PS. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanks for everyone 's response
i am pretty sure it is the power supply, what a joker pc it is, i found out that they use a baby ATX mb and use a AT power supplies to hook to the mb
then jumper the wires for power button

now you can't just replace the power supply cuz i don't know what made is the MB, the pins are not labelled

go figure

Heh, never any fun.

I'd suggest you look closely over the motherboard, looking for unique chips, or markings (usually on the PCB) trying to distinguish who the motherboard manufacturer is, and what the model is.

Most MB manufacturers have a pdf available of the manual on their website, so that might help.

The power input to the MB 'should' (using this loosely) be of a standard deal, and only the fact they have messed with your P/S are you having trouble.

A good suggestion if you are not sure about some of the things I (and others) have said, is take it to a PC builder near where you are, explain only what you want done, and be patient. They will hopefully be able to sort out what is needed, and charge you accordingly. (Better than not having a working machine).

Let us know how you get on. Your feedback lets us know how useful our advice is, adding to our knowledge.

I can also say that in the short time I have been using these forums, I am really amazed with how having different perspectives helps. I wish I had had this resource at my last job.

You probably have one of the boards that have dual P/S capability. I would suspect that a AT p/s would fit right in. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed is dead on right, it is a dual socket/slot type with AT and ATX power sockets.

the manufacture who built this pc uses a AT power supply and put a jumper to the power switch to start the computer up.
i could only find a number on the MB which i can't find anything on the google search engine
the number goes by MB-M766LRT-Dual

If the hard drive is spinning up my previous guesses change.
PS is no longer suspect except for the power good signal.
More like CPU or M/B. Oscillator would run if power good is there so the choices would be the CPU or a dead oscillator on the M/B or something keeping the address/data lines from getting to/from the BIOS. If Bios is pluggable you might try reseating it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

yup, looks like the CPU and MB is dead, i found the two pin to turn the computer on using ATX power supply

fan will go, no beeps, no video,
i tried the cpu on another board, the same thing goes, nothing, and i tried a good cpu on that board, same thing

interesting that all of a certain, it just die

I know that I am late into this discussion, but maybe you are still curious about the manufacturer of the board...?

M766LRT is the style model # that PC wave ( ) and PC Chips ( ) use.

IMHO, they are the BIGGEST peices of crap out there (of course, I doubt that you will argue this point, currently)! Bad, Bad, Bad!

In case you need it, they usually carry a 1 year warranty, but I don't know if either of them accept RMAs from "the little guy". Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Nope you are not too late, thanks for the information

yes it is a piece of crap indeed

This can be caused by a few things. One thing is a dead power supply. Usually a repair shop has a way to test the power supply. A power supply can make power and just be too flakey. A bad CPU or incorrect jumpers can cause the motherboard non-bootable. No memory or bad memory. Bad video card.

Most common problem is the motherboard is grounding out or the power supply just gave up. Power supplies love to just quit. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks for all responses
i finally gave up spending too much time on it

it is a pc ware mb dead, cpu might be dead too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back