Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer name and account name the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
After cloning out 20 XP pro computers, I was unable to name each computer by using the first initial-full last name of the user and then creating an account with the same name. (this has been our MO since the first flavor of windows) The first one that I unsealed would not let me create an account with the same name as the computer. I ended up giving each computer a name using full first name which screws up our naming convention but at least allows no changes to user accounts. (Novell NDS) After these were in use for a few days, I had a user change the name of his computer to match his replaced Win98 name (the pre-existing name convention) and XP did not complain that there was already a user account with this name. How is this so? Why did XP complain in the first place? Is there any rule that this follows or could they all be changed? Will this cause any problems in the near future when we swith to a Windows Domain and Active Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back