Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Maintenance Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkerr

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
Hi, all!

I've been asked to teach a *basic* (read: doable) class on computer maintenance for our company. I've got a few thoughts on what I want to cover, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions/ideas/feedback. This is about as close as I could get to a proper forum, I think, but I apologize if I've picked incorrectly.

Here's what I want to cover so far:
*disk cleanup
*windows update
*defragging
*malware prevention (per the excellent FAQ on this forum, I've already stolen a few ideas - faq779-5240)
*backups
*basic tips for productivity improvement

All of our users are using WinXP.

Any ideas? Have I missed anything? Let me know if you have any feedback - thanks!

LK

You seem to have covered a lot of the basics and should be OK. System Restore, ChkDsk, and the Event Viewer might be worth a mention, but perhaps you don't want to overload them with information during the class.

Probably from the "Students" point of view, an "any questions" section should get their attention and keep you on your toes.

One of the reasons many people begin to think about maintenance is when their computer begins to slow down, which is usually the first sign of trouble. With that in mind you could consider some troubleshooting techniques too?

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Hard Disk still full after deleting large files
thread779-1136701

And of course there is always Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back