Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Losing time

Status
Not open for further replies.

phart

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
US
I have a computer that is freezing and the computer is losing at least an hour a day. the mouse will freeze along with the hard drive. this happens when the computer is being used or sitting idle.

thank you for your your help.

A bad CMOS battery will cause it to loose time. You might replace it (they're cheap) and see if that helps. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Need some more info:

- Hardware specs (CPU speed/type, motherboard, etc)
- Operating System (Win98, 2000, etc)
- Do you lose time when the pc has been powered off?
- Does the time correct itself after rebooting?
- Is the PC part of a network?
- How old is the pc?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

If the time corrects itself after a cold reboot, then it's not the battery. However, nobrain is right on the money since the CMOS battery is the most common culprit.
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

I'm having the same problem. But here's the weird part.. I got a new PC and the problem persists!

I'm using my old CD roms and my old hard drive though. Also, when I reboot my computer after unplugging it, Windows thinks its the year 21175!!

Could it be my hard drive? Or a coincidence that both machines had a bad battery? My new PC is used, but the guy I bought it from only used it a couple months.

Check the time in the BIOS instead of Windows after you power off/on. Also, try answering some of the questions in my first post...
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Easy! Disable your multimedia screensaver! Any screen saver that uses a medium/large amount of memory will casuse your PC to loose time :)

sorry it has taken me this long to get back. I dont think it is the cmos battery. the pc is frezzing while using programs and loses time during this period..

Operating system win98
128 meg memory
1.2 gig processor
30 meg hard drive
new machine, built by local shop.
yes it is part of network but not syncing to network time.

That's what I suspected! Very important question for you:

Does the time correct itself when you reboot?

- Next time it happens, don't correct the time yourself. Just reboot and see if it corrects itself.
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

no the time does not correct itself, we need to correct it manually.

OK, because the time doesn't correct itself, then we can't be sure just yet what's causing the problem.

Windows pulls the time from the BIOS/CMOS clock during the boot process. After Windows is finished loading, the internal clock is all software and needs resources to keep up (though it doesn't take much). If you're system slows to a crawl or freezes like you mention, then this clock will fall behind. It's just a question of how far.

This is where it gets complicated. The Windows clock doesn't make a call to the CMOS clock unless told to do so. Therefore, the Windows clock can fall behind "without" affecting the CMOS clock. That is why the time can correct itself the next time you reboot.

What's happening to you seems odd. Perhaps there is some kind of software running that is saving this "loss of time" to the CMOS? When you open the clock's properties and hit OK, for instance, the new time is set in the CMOS.

One thing is for sure...you need to increase the amount of available resources. Use msconfig to turn off apps that are loading with Windows. Start with the basics then work your way back up one at a time until you find the culprit.

Good luck! [thumbsup2]
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back