Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Locks Up After a While brand new mobo!!! UPS Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
I know how a UPS works but I still don't want to eliminate it as a possible problem. I have a normal workstation acting as a server and is connected to a UPS along with a true server. The computer was recently repaired for a bad motherboard. When I got the computer back and reconnected it, it works for a while and then it locks up. It's running Windows 2000 Server which is pretty stable. Could a bad UPS cause system lock ups? I know UPS's kick in when there's an absense of wall current, so they usually act as a pass-through when the wall current is okay. Power sags cause lock ups sometimes, I know, but how could a UPS connected to wall current cause a power sag?

Someone please help, because my manager is about to chew out the computer repair guys at the factory for not fixing the computer, and I don't want her to do that if there's a problem on our end. The guys at the factory said they ran the computer over Thanksgiving without it locking up on them, but I can't run it for 30 minutes without it locking up? Someone please help! Can I rule out the UPS????

I don't think the UPS is the problem.
If your computer was repaired from a problem in the motherboard, and you are running Windows 2000, then I will bet my head that the problem is the computer (maybe the motherboard was not changed, or they changed and some driver should need to be changed or upgraded, etc.).
Regards,

Jose.-

I agree with Jose - especially since the other server is still running fine on that UPS, the PC that came back from repair still has some sort of problem. One other thing to check first - how OLD is the power cord? I've run into old power cords, where the PC end isn't as grippy as it was, so it makes a less-than perfect connection, and after a while the connection AT the POWERCORD heats up, and disconnects. Try a NEW power cord to the PC!

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back