Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer locks on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffdog

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
US
I am trying to fix a computer for a friend. It is a 850mhz AMD DURON with award Modular bios v6.00PG and the bios id is 12/06/2000-8363-686A-K7VZAC-00. I guess he tried to install a second cd-rom drive and things went wrong. When I went in there he had jumpers set wrong cables all over the place. Anyway I set everything where it was suppose to go but it still won't boot. It detects all the drives correctly now but locks at the pci listing everytime. I have taken every step I can think of (save flashing the bios cause I cant find one) It won't even boot from a boot disk in the A drive. I have taken off all periphials and tried one by one to see if it was a hardware issue still no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

Im just hoping he didn't fry something when he went in there.

I would try removing everything from the board again, including IDE cables and floppy cable, and all cards except video. Try rebooting. If it doesn't work, then try resetting CMOS.

well can you tell me if it is the bios that locks-up or the OS.. .. i think you are talking about Bios locking-up your computer... if it is yourbios do as Freestone says if it still does not work then even remore the battery, set the jumper to clear CMOS and then redo the power cycle i mean unplug the power supply and redo the power.
this should do.
nothing else might be wrong remove all the PCI cards from the system and do inserting when you see that things are working fine.

Hi there,

clearing CMOS is a first to do... or better said do what was suggested beforehand...

then make sure that all cards (AGP, PCI etc.) are seated correctly... do this by taking them out and reinserting them... take a look at the connectors for damage and/or corosion... then take a look at the RAM making sure its seated correctly as above...

make sure that the HSF is installed correctly...

make sure that all IDE/FLOPPY cables are installed correctly and all drives are jumpered correctly (per IDE line one Master and one Slave)...

cuz it sounds like it is trying to detect the FLOPPY and aint getting anywhere...

BEN

PS - feel free to point out my mistakes... one can only learn from them...

I have taken everything off the board so as to have only video cpu and hdd going and no luck. Hoping to just add one component at a time to find what is locking it. It still locked with just basics. I reset the bios cleared it with jumpers and through the bios. set fail safe defaults. changed ide cables no luck. Tried a known good hdd no luck... I am thinking that he has knocked the mobo and junked it. There was a fan blade missing from the cpu fan. That doesn't "Just" happen you know. So I think there is some missing info that he is not telling me. I appreciate all your help guys, but I think its just time he gets a new computer anyway. I have spent 3 days going nuts on this thing and have exhausted my patience with it. He will just have to pony up some cash to get it professionally done or get a new one. Thanks again.

take 5 mins and reset the BIOS useing the jumper 1 pin if that does not do it with all new parts like drives and CD's yer buddy has a bad board. and after 3 days, he owes you a case of beer for working on his computer. and tell him to buy a new MOBO

yeah I have my A+, Network +, SAIR, MCP, MCSE and one of them lil things you know a CCNA but the real question is, Buddy can you spare a dime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back