Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer locked up, Won't Post, Power to fans for 5 seconds then nada

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp4des423

Technical User
Jan 13, 2009
US
About a month ago my roommate removed his USB jump drive from my computer's front USB port.

The computer immediately locked up.

I rebooted the system, and the computer would not post, no beeps, nothing, just spin the fans, light up the LEDs and then completely power down after 5 seconds.

Assuming the powersupply had been blown I went and purchased a 650w Antec, after installing the new powersupply the problem persisted.

The power LED on the motherboard is lit, and when the video card is in the slot but recieving no power from the PS the motherboard makes a continuous beep but still powers down after five seconds. I am no professional but the beep and the LED made me assume that the motherboard was in working condition.

I then went ahead and disconnected every piece of hardware and tried them one at a time, once again, the result was the same. 5 seconds of spinning fans and nothing. I tried different RAM sticks in every RAM slot, still nothing.

I cleared the CMOS... nothing.

I then removed the processor and attempted to boot up the computer, this time the computer did not power down in 5 seconds but remained idling with power.

I assumed it was the processor and went ahead and purchased AMD Athlon X2 3.2 ghz and installed it.

The same problem persisted, so I cleared the CMOS since I had upgraded the processor I thought maybe that could be the problem.

Still nothing.

I have tried new power switches, thinking that maybe the cases switch had shorted, I have unhooked all of the case USBs and periphrals and I am still at a loss.

I do not want to go ahead and purchase a new motherboard without trying EVERY possible thing, because after a new PS, CPU and motherboard I may as well have just built a whole new computer.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3.2 ghz
MOBO: ASUS m2n32-sli deluxe
PS: Antec 650w
RAM: 1gb Corsair x2

If I missed anything that will help you trouble shoot this please bring it to my attention, I use this computer for my design jobs and I really need to get it up and running.

The 5 second shutdown sounds like the same 5 second shutdown from holding the power button down. I would assume that there is an issue with the power up circuit in the standby section on the motherboard that brings power up and drops it. It may very well be a failure of the processor to start processing from some other fault on the M/B.

This is one of those problems where a logic probe or a scope would be of some use.

I would vote for a new M/B and wish you well with your new computer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with Ed. The mobo is likely the issue based on the series of events that all started with the USB port. A continuous beep is not a common thing either. You can check the manual, but most diagnostic beep codes consist of a series of beeps (one, two, three, etc.) instead of one long continuous one.

Hey, on the bright side you can recoup some of the cost by reselling on eBay. Without spare parts on hand for testing, it's difficult to avoid such losses...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Award/Phoenix BIOS - continuous BEEP code indicates that the motherboard can not find the GFX card and/or RAM modules...

So test the GFX card and RAM in another PC...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back