Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer keeps shutting off 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

celica28

Technical User
Oct 20, 2005
US
I have an Asus P5LD2 motherboard with a P4 3.2GHz processor. I built the system with all new components. It has crucial memory in it, 1GB and a 430W power supply. The trouble I am having is the system randomly shuts off. I thought it was the heat sink so I got a Zalman all copper heat sink that got the processor to run at 28-30 degrees Celcuis. But the system keeps shutting down at random. It did this before I changed the heat sink. Could this be a bad board?

any beeps? just shuts down or error messages? does it say anything on start up again about shutting down incorrectly etc? Anything extra you think you could add to it would help! :D

Did you check the power supply ? I had a similar problem sometime back. I was worried my mobo had gone, but then I swapped the power supply with one from a friend of mine and it worked without any problem. But in my case, I had used the power supply for almost 4 years, before it retired. I cant imagine how a bad power supply could have gotten into your new PC.

There are no beeps and no start up errors. It just shuts off. I am using windows xp pro. It just shuts off randomly. The temps of the motherboard and processor are all good. Power supply problem????

yeah, I'd agree with transtec here... see if you have another powersupply laying around the gaff and swap it and see if you get the same problem.

Either way come back and let us know as it's handy to have the answers in these threads to for future reference for people :D

Good luck!

I should know the answer Thursday. Thanks guys. I had the suspesion it would be the power supply.

before switching power supplies, check the circuit the computer is plugged into. Too many other things plugged into the same circuit can cause low line voltage/current at times, which can shutdown/reboot your computer at seemingly random intervals.

For what it's worth isn't there a virus/worm that will cause similar symptoms?

Based on what was posted I don't see why this problem is specifically hardware related...

For what it's worth isn't there a virus/worm that will cause similar symptoms?

Based on what was posted I don't see why this problem is specifically hardware related...

It could be. But the OP said they built the system from all new components, so I assume this is a brand new system, hopefully not yet infected with a virus. But they could certainly check for a virus.

This is probably not what is happening, but I've seen random shut downs from people's cases being too dusty on the inside.

It may be a faulty power supply but it may be faulty power at the wall plug! You cant tell as power surges and brownouts can happen in the blink of an eye. Not only will that cause a reset but it can destroy computer parts like hard drives, power supplies, video cards etc, etc.

If you can buy or borrow a UPS i would suggest you connect your pc to the UPS instead of the wall plug.
It really is that important. I know, it cost me plenty and i have heard others that found out their problems were at the wall!
Also, you can get a good tutorial on how to test your power supply to make sure its working properly at techrepublic.com. You have to sign up but its free, its a great tech site, and they dont bug you at all. Ive been a member for about 6 yrs.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Another thing, if you've been on the net or used email you could easily have picked up a virus. I suggest you go to trend-micro and run the first of 3 scans they offer. I only suggest the first scan, second is optional, but the third is a windows update and i dont reccommend doing that. When you want to do a win update you should do it with a healthy pc and direct from m\soft.
But trend-micro is a very good site, their program wont cause any problems with your pc and will find virus\trojans\worms that your antivirus fails to catch!
Worth a shot anyway.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Pull the board completely out of the case then inspect the board on both sides with a good magnifier. You are looking for loose components and poor, pitted, split, & just plain bad solder joints. Look for burned , bubbled and/or deformed components. You also need to look for hairline cracks.

This does not apply if you use plastic stand offs in the case. put a small piece of electrical tape on the top of each metal stand off in the case and put the board back in and screw through the tape.

You are trying to avoid grounding a componenent in the MB to case.

Switch out the RAM I have seen bad RAM and CPU's cause this before....But, more so the ram

Replace the CMOS battery in the MB.

Unplug from the power supply everything except the Hard drive (ignore the no floppy drive error on boot). also only have the video card plugged in. Wait and see if it shuts down

If you have onboard Lan and/or sound (or any onboard component)disable them in the BIOS.

Have a house fan blow on the open side of the case on the MB to see if the MB shuts down still.

Ground your self to the case first before you do this. (static electricity)

Touch different conponents on the MB and see if they are hot to the touch. same goes for the HD.
if you use too much CPU paste you could have a false reading of the CPU temp. I have checked temps by (very unscientific means)!!!!God forbid....a meat thermometer!!!

You can try the easiest checks first and you don't have to go in the order I listed above.

!!!READ!!!!
This is missed and quite often cause problems....take the MB out of the case and remove the Chipset heatsink...quite often the manufacture of the MB just slaps cheap paste that does not necessarly cover the entire chip...clean and put a good quality CPU heatsink paste on (thin). treat the chipset the way you would the processor.

It also doesn't hurt to check the heatsink on the video card.

I am not going to give any software fixes as I think your problem is totally hardware related. and the reason is because as you quoted " It just shuts off."

O'boy that was a lot to type....LOL
good luck

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that the computer is brand new and I have a battery back up with an AVR hooked up to the computer. I will check the ram and see what will happen. Thanks. I am testing it today.

Post your results when you are done,
I bet it would be a power supply problem. Cos my PC had the same symptoms some time back. And do note, this is the first stage of this unrecognizable error, that is it shuts down ( or powers down wud be the rite word ) in irregular fashions. But if you keep on using, then the power supply would turn out to be so bad , that you wont be even able to power up your PC at times by pressing the power button.

I had a 430W thermaltake power supply so I went and bought an antec 500W power supply. I will put the power supply in either monday or wednesday.

I put an antec 450W power supply in. So far so good, but the CPU temp is running high, close to 40 degrees. I have the Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor - Retail
Model #: BX80547PG3200F

I do not have the retail heat sink, instead I have the Zalman all copper heat sink that has a fan pointing straight out to the read chasis. Any ideas to cool it down more so I can run games on it?

40 degrees celsius is not bad at all. I wish mine ran as cool....lol

I have a friend that overclocks and he runs the cooling coils of a small refridgerator...

lol

glad to hear you got it fixed

Yea glad to hear that the Power Supply Unit fixed the problem. Hope no more troubles with the new PSU tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back