Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer joined to domain runs incredibly slowly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Computer was running fine. Shut server down (one server domain) to replace a bad hard drive and left users logged in on all computers. Now, one PC runs ridiculously slow with any user logged in. It seems to boot up and allow any user to log in at normal speeds but after a few minutes, the hard drive light comes on solid and clicking on the START button might take a minute to respond.

Other computers were not affected by this. Hard drive tests out fine.

Windows 7 Pro on a HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF PC

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Local admin account slow too?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Disconnect it from the network, and see if it's still running slow.
Plus what is running slow? Is it browser issues, or applications? Can you provide more detail about what is "slow"?

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Local admin runs fine until I try to access a network resource OR browse on of the domain user profile folders in the USERS folder.

Everything is running slowly.

It doesn't make a difference connected/disconnected.

Quit the domain and rejoin. Might be having issues finding "home" so to speak.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

What about the user profiles - I'll have to recreate everything for the user (Outlook settings, etc.)

Made no difference. Wow.

Hmm, if the local admin account runs fine until trying to find network resources and the domain user account runs super slowly I'm surprised that that rejoining the domain didnt fix it. Since it is W7 you could do a quick Windows repair just to make sure all the Windows files are fine.

Well.................. I finally went with my own advice and intuition - run the built in HP diagnostics on the hard drive which I had been avoiding since it said it would take 45 minutes. I started that and went home for lunch, came back and voila - see picture attached.

I thought I had screwed it up and thus wouldn't give my normal analysis procedures a chance. Stupid!! Sorry to have posted without exhausting my normal methodology first. Rest in peace little 120GB PNY SSD. It still worked enough for me to copy the most important profile off.

HDD_Test_Fail_Office1_g9soxz.jpg

Thanks for posting the solution. At least the trusty HDD/SSD test showed its value again and you aren't still chasing your tail.

It was really bizarre because Windows booted up really fast as normal with the SSD. But then about 5 minutes after login, the hard drive light would come on and not go off and the computer ran like mud. I thought it was something I did.

This is the first SSD I've seen that has failed.

goomba:
I guess I don't see that as too strange; the boot sector and windows DLLs and so forth are static... I would imagine it wasn't until it started writing temp files, etc that it started running into problems.

In other words, the "Static" portions of windows weren't failing; when windows went into operational mode is when it started hitting errors.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

When you get your new SSD, I suggest strongly that you do not get anything made by PNY. They have a terrible reputation for failing rapidly. Yes they are cheap, but for a few dollars more you can get a drive that will actually last a while.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I inherited this computer/customer from someone else who had put in the PNY. I never buy anything but Samsung drives for customers and myself.

gbaughma - Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back