Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Hangs When Printer USB is Plugged In

Status
Not open for further replies.

afiorentino

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
US
Any ideas out there.

1. I have a Gateway computer with a PIII 500 chip running Windows XP Professional. It has 2 USB Ports. One of the Ports has my Palm hooked to it. The computer boots up fine with just this USB plugged in. It will boot up with it plugged in either USB. If I try to start the computer with the Printer USB (Canon i470D) it hangs up. I have to unplug the power and pull out the cable to get it to boot up. Once the computer has booted I can plug in the printer USB and it prints fine. It is annoying to have to unplug everytime I reboot. Any ideas???

2. Another unrelated question. Why won't my computer shut down all the way like it use to. It now will only go to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer stage".

Any help with either of these questions is appreciated.

More information here.

XP doesn't power down correctly

Read the section Powerdown issues at this site.

XP Soft Shutdown
thread779-534421

WinXP does not turn my computer off
thread779-395859

XP Pro Wont shut down!
thread779-976491

When you fix the Shutdown problem that may in turn fix the USB problem?

USB Device Does Not Initialize at Startup or Windows XP Stops Responding at Startup or Shutdown

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer

In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support

Use Device Manager and delete the USB root hubs that show on your machhine now. Reboot and let XP rediscover the ports.

From a post by "Bcastner".

"See if this helps:
Disable BIOS legacy support for either USB 1 or 2, do not have both enabled. BIOS support for USB 2.x would be my choice.

Without the USB devices connected, stop the WIA service:
Start, Run, services.msc
Scroll down to Windows Image and Acquisition service and stop it. Set it to Manaul as its startup state.

Reboot and test again."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back