Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Full Name - Remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2008
GB
What is my office PC's full name? It is part of a workgroup and I want to access it from home?

Thanks for reading this.

Probably best to check with your IT Dept before you even attempt this. How are you planning on accessing this from home? Citrix or VPN, also what about the FIrewall at work in place will this allow you access, what sort of Security is in place are you allowed to do this ? Need a lot more information to be able to help you further

Thanks for your reply. I am my IT Dept [ponder]. I have been using LogMeIn to give access to users and I wanted to see if Windows Remote Desktop would work in a workgroup environment.

Well, there is another option you could try if you want that would be easier, and wouldn't be as limited by the interface. Just make sure it's okay with anyone else who might have authority over the matter.

I really like the 3rd part program, Gbridge for remote control of PCs. So long as you have it installed on both machines involved, and the options set correctly, you can log in any time with a couple of clicks. It creates a sudo vpn for the connection as well.

I've been using it now for at least 2 years, I think. I do NOT use it at work, though. My employer uses a solution by Citrix.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back