Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizwaz

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
GB
Don't know if I'm in the right forum - My PC keeps freezing but then after a couple of minutes it unfreezes - we recently had to re-installed windows (ME) as there was a registry configuration error and it wouldn't start up and it seems to have been happening since then.

Well, unfortunately WinME is notorious for problems. This may be beyond your scope, but I'd flush, format and install WinXP, preferably Pro.

Aside from that, go to the 'start' button, type in Msconfig and click Run button. Then take a look at the Startup tab and see what programs are automatically starting when you boot up. There may be some things that should be turned off. I would turn off everything but Systray and Explorer and see how it runs. Then selectively add the valid startup programs back one at a time.

Is there any pattern to what activities are occuring on the pc when it freezes? For instance, does it always happen while on the internet, or something?
You might also check cnet or similar site for utilities that check the registry for bad entries again but sounds like you did that to fix the original problem.

Have you re-applied any Windows ME updates since reinstalling? If not, I'd go to Microsoft and do that next.

Also, doubtful that this is it or that you haven't already checked, but if not, check your Temporary Internet files. Is the number of items high? If so, delete them and see if that helps. There's also an option in the 'advanced' part of Internet Options that will automatically delete those temp files whenever you close the IE browser window.

Hope this helps a little.

I would also recommend getting AdAware and Spybot search and destroy, to make sure you don't have some spyware running. This could deffinitely explain the lags.
Spybot will also allow you to close any DSO holes within internet explorer.

AdAware download:

Spybot search and destroy:

As the gentleman in front of me said, go to windows upate and get your updates first. THEN run the other two.

Run AdAware first, then Spy bot. Don't forget to check for updates of these two utilities prior to running them. That way, you will make sure you are using the most up to date signature file.

After you let these two programs fix any problems they find, then while sitll in spybot, hit the imunize button, and it will imunize your computer for over 500 potential threats of this nature.

Best Regards,

Marlon

My personal credo:
Do well unto others, else you will, or at least should, not respect what you see in the mirror at the end of the day!

tizwaz,

If you decide to use msconfig, take care in what you uncheck. A good rule of thumb is "if you don't recognize it, don't uncheck it". Or at the very least, look up its name on google to learn what it is. You don't necessarily need to worry about ruining your system, since you can always re-check the items later.

Before jumping straight into msconfig, first try the ole' CTRL-ALT-DEL method and end-task on each process one at a time until the problem goes away (leave Explorer running at all times). You might be able to narrow it down that way. I'd bet that it's something like your antivirus scanner.

tek

Thanks for your help everyone. I've loaded Windows Updates and ran Adware and spybot. (this found some things and deleted them)Also I've closed all progs running in the background. But its still freezing. There is no pattern - its not just when on the internet its all the time. If your lucky you can get half an hour without it happening but other times it freezes every other minute. When it freezes my DVd drive won't open even if theres nothing in it but my CD writer drive will open and close. Not sure if this means anything. If possible would like to explore all possible solutions before trying to upgrade to XP

Try a couple of online scanners. See smah's FAQ faq760-3862

I certainly wouldn't attempt an update to XP until this issue is resolved. Personally, I would not do an update in any case, just a fresh install of XP.

I would unplug all unecessary USB devices and see if it stops freezing.

do you have Nero cd burning software installed, by any chance?

When it freezes, check your Hard Drive light and see if something is running in the background.

no don't have nero - have easy cd creater installed. What do you mean by check my hard disk light and see if anything is running in the background - already tried closing all progs using ctrl/alt/del.
removed scanner and modem from usb ports but no difference.

Freezing is often a IRQ or hardware conflict response. If you haven't been to the device manager check for '!' exclamation marks on any of your devices. IF not, go to Safe Mode and check for duplicates of those devices, more devices show up in safe mode then in normal mode. See if that helps. If you have duplicates you can remove them all or just the one your not using, Windows will find them again, use this disks, or newest drivers when the hardware wizard finds them again. I'd keep one CDROM present so that you can update the drivers the first time, instead of accepting the defaults, but im a bit more reckless than that.
Another thing to try is the old IRQ cache refresh technique handed down over the years. Remove all the cards power on, power off, put in video card, cycle the power, put in the hard drive, boot up check status and see if things last longer than normal as you add the rest of your devices back in. If thats too complicated get(or pay) someone else to do it. Hope that helps, you can always wait for the easy posts to come in and try this last.

-Marc State IT
"Just keep Pushing The Rock"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back