Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhe

Vendor
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I have XP, and it keeps randomly freezing. It's now doing it about every 30 minutes, sometimes when I'm not even using the pc. It will just stop responding.

Hi,
When you right click on my computer,manage,event viewer, are there any error messages in the application or system log files around the times of the lockups?
Can you run throught the faq on malware I reference below and also run an upto date virus scan.
Are you doing anything in particuliar when its locking up?
I'd just like to eliminate a software problem before going to the hardware.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

After all this,
Its most likely a video card or sound card issue:
Have a look here:
And Try running the DirectX Tool: Start/Run/Dxdiag, Lower Hardware Acceleration
(Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot/Hardware Acceleration).

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

What Kippy13 suggests is good and should be followed on...

Question I have is this, what system do you have, ie. Motherboard make, CPU, RAM installed, GFXcard, PCIcards, PSU type/make/wattage... and most important of all, how old is the system, is it store bought or do-it-yourself...

does the system lock up in the BIOS setup screen? to check hit F1 (DEL) to enter BIOS, then let it sit for a while, navigate at intervals through the BIOS, if it locks up there then mostlikely you have RAM problems... run a MEMTEST...

Ben

thanks for your help but i cant find my computer,manage,event viewer. and i have ran up to date norton virus and i have no virus.

When you fo to start, there should be an icon for my computer there.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Check the temperature of your CPU. It sounds like the CPU is overheating. You may need to install some additional cooling. Of course the age and type of the CPU and MoBo as well as the power supply info would help in making further determinations (as bigbadben suggested).

Hope this helps

S

May also want to run Spy bot. Go to any search engine and type in Spy bot. Download it..run the update manager, and then check for spyware. This sometimes causes lockups and will definetely slow down a machine. Hope this helps.

The question I like to ask...

It was working fine before...remember doing anything to the pc, (software or hardware) right before it started freezing?
In other words, what changed?

My XT983 was randomly shutting down. Even when I was not using it at the time. After two weeks of trying every suggestion and lead. Turned out to be CPU was getting to hot. Blew all the dust out and it cleared up.
Rick

O.K I'll say it. Thanks to everybody who gave rlabrnthy all the good suggestions. Apparently at least some of them helped him.

S

thanks for all help but looks like chip is running at wrong temp. mesh computers collected my computer this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back