Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer freezes during post

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
Hi All,
Ok here's the story, i have an old P4 computer with asus mb that is used as a recording box to record VHS to dvd and the wife also uses it as her sewing machine pc, runs software for her embroider machine.
Anyway the pc was working perfectly about a month ago. Was turned off and unplugged for about a month during the xmass holidays, went to turn it on yesterday and nothing happened.
A light was on the front of the machine but nothing else.
Opened the side panel, turned on the pc and the power supply and the fans did not run but there was a green light on the MB.
I unplugged everything then unplugged the power supply from the board, thought there might be a dirty/loose connection, plugged it back onto the board and still nothing.
I unplugged the HDD's, dvd, floppy drives and the pc powered up, I [plugged in the HDD etc turned it on and it ran fine so i plugged in monitor, keyboard and mouse turned on the pc and it started up read the graphics check, started to read the bios info then froze with a flashing curser on the screen. no error message just froze.
restarted the pc same thing happened, restarted again and got into bios setup all seemed ok, all components were detected and showing. exited from there the pc booted up this time to win XP login screen then froze. another restart took me to the first freeze screen again.
So any ideas where to begin looking at this one?
as i said it's only a spare pc so it's no great lose if i have to rebuild it/ toss it.

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Possibly the power supply may be failing. If you have a spare power supply, swap it out to test.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

cool thanks will check tonight and let you know

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

hi guys, sorry for the delay, just to let you know,
I reset the ram and it came back to life. [thumbsup]

Regards
Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back