Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer doesn't want to switch on

Status
Not open for further replies.

djazia

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
FR
My computer doesn't want to switch on anymore.

My computer was working fine till yesterday.
He just powered off by itself while using it.
I pressed the start button but nothing happened.
I had another old power supply so I decided to replace it just to check.
The computer started and then after few clicks powered off like before.

From then, I switched power supplies (those 2) several times and my computer never wanted to start again.. nothing happen when I press the start button.
I have a LED on my motherboard which is lit when in plug in my computer but nothing at all happen when I try to switch it on.
I think it may come from the power supply but I would like to have an expert point of view about that.

both power supplies are 240Watts.
My motherboard is an ASUS A7V333X with a GFX 5500 graphic card, a 120G maxtor HD + CD reader + floppy disc.

Thx ;)

Djazia

start by disconnecting everything except a bare bones system:

motherboard
cpu
one stick of ram
graphic card
keyboard

see if it will start like that.

if it does, connect the hard drive and restart.

I'll try that tonight and will tell you if that works ;)
thx ;)

Djazia

The first power supply may have blown damaging other components.
Typically the SPIKE can damage hard drives, CDroms and even addon cards causing one or more to short to ground.

The user then replaces the power supply only to either blow the fuse in that new PSU or it just doesn't boot.

Try the bare bones suggestion, pull out everything just leaving: CPU with heatsink, one stick of ram, graphics card and power supply, now if it posts you know something that WAS plugged in is preventing boot.
Suspect the hard drive first.

Don't forget to clear the cmos first
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

good idea to check the fuses in the power supplies if possible. If the fuse(s) are blown don't try and start the computer, see if you can visually spot what might be causing a shorted circuit that is blowing the fuses. Maybe a dropped metal washer inside the case or the motherboard is shorting to a metal standoff, just give it a really good visual inspection, remove everything if you have to from the case including the motherboard, use all precautions when working with your computers internal components.

Hello everyone

Well, I did what you recommended:
I remove eveything apart from the CPU with heatsink, one stick of ram (had only one anyway), graphics card and power supply.

Doesn't change a thing

I even tried without the HD plug to the power supply and nothing changed.

I check the fuse into the power supply and it seems ok + the LED on the motherboard is lit so the motherboard is receiving power.

But may be my power supply is not powerful enough... 240Watts?

240 watts is low, but should be plenty to power up a bare bones system. I'm thinking the cpu or motherboard is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back