Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer dials up internet by itself. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman70

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
Windows ME
Microsoft Internet Explorer.
I have checked everything that says do not dial automatically.
Use my default ISP.
If I forget to unplug the phone line when I get back to my computer it is usually back on line.
I do have another computer networked but it will not dial the internet. It will dial my numbers in Sidekick by draging and dropping on the red telephone. That computer is Windows 98SE which when I get it to dial up the internet I'll dump Me and use 98SE on both machines.
Thanks,
Bill Andrews

You might want to disable the Save password option. Without the passwod the program won't be able to connect. You might check to see if your antivirus program has an option to make it prompt you before it dials up your connection.
You could choose to Never dial a connection in Internet Explorer's dial-up settings.
You might want to scan you system for viruses and spyware.

I had one doing that from a network and it was because I bought and installed a program but hadn't registered it yet. Once I put the serial number in and it was sent to the publisher, it quit dialing.

We have a stand alone computer hooked up to the internet (comes in useful when the firewall blocks you...) and that occasionally dials up by itself.
The only thing I can think of which causes it is AudioGalaxy. Do you have any programs like this installed?

I had a similar experience with one of my networked computers going on-line by itself.

The box that did it was a Hewlett Packard. What I was told to do and which stopped the problem was to hit 'Start' (lower left corner), then 'Run.' In the Run box type, 'msconfig' (without the quote marks). When the screen comes up, hit the 'Startup' tab. In the Startup window, slide down to 'Keyboard Manager.' Uncheck the check box next to the Keyboard Manage title. Hit 'apply,' then' OK.' I think you'll have to Restart the computer.

Apparently, the HP keyboard manager trys to call home every once in a while. I sincerely hope this helps as I know how frustrating this can be.

Try this. Right click on your Internet explorer icon and go to properties. Then go to connections and select never dial a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back