Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer becomes noisy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawfish

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
GB
I have a strange problem with my new computer, every time I start it up its reasonably quiet but then after I open a few programs it gets noisier and noisier. It makes a noise every time I use a program, a fluctuating whirring noise that gets louder and louder till eventually I cant stand it any more.

I have a matrox G550 which doesn't have a fan and a Maxtor 6Y080 80GB hard drive.

Is it likely to be the drive thats noisy or the fan, and if so whats the best thing to do?

sawfish
You just gotta get in there!!! lol
Slip off the left side and have a CAREFUL prod with a non metalic implement.
Typically if it turns out to be a fan, you just touch the center spinner and slow it down for a couple of seconds, the noise will disapear.
Most likely a fan but could be the HDD or a resonence (buzz) setup by vibrating components, anyways carefully elliminate one by one.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

New computer?
Check for internal cables touching processor fan. Be sure to test with computer in normal operating position.
Keith

How dirty are the internals of the PC? PC's can make excessive noise when extremely dusty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back