Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer and Users in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeddieed

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2002
US
Is it standard practice to have both computer and users in the same OU? I have an OU called e.g. (HR) and an OU called (workstations)where i keep all computer names in the workstation OU in the domain. Please advise.

Thanks

Thats not a big deal but I normally will have something like an ou called HR than under HR I will have an ou called workstations and one called users. It works great for pushing out software updates when you have good organazation.

I agree, splitting them into separate OUs is advisable. My organization has an OU called Users, then an OU called Computers. Each of those OUs is broken down by division, then department, etc and they both have the same structure.

It's probably a bit of a toss-up whether it's better to split users and computers up at the root if the AD structure or at their final level (department, if you like).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back