Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CompTIA Security+ : CompTIA Press Edition 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doletopia

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2006
US
Has anyone used the Security+ book offered by CompTIA Press to pass the exam? I've taken the exam twice and have found the material in the test frustratingly different from what is offered in the materials I used to prepare. I missed the cert by 4 questions the first time using the Sybex book and missed by 2 questions the second time using the Exam Cram book. Any and all suggestions to help me pass this exam are welcome!

I prefered the Syngress book over Sybex. Exam Cram was good for review not study. Tcat's PDF is good. Working down the objectives with google. Techexams has a good study guide. Cramsession study guide was written my shiminski, same guy that wrote the Syngress book. don't bother watching the DVD. that's what worked for me.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I have to differ with Glister based off of my experience.

I'd say save your money on TCat's book - his A+ and Net+ ones are excellent - the one for security+ is not. I regretted buying it - and I bought it off of my experiences with his A+ & Net+ ones.

The Sybex one was decent enough.

Here is what I used.

-TCat's Security+.
-Sybex Security+
-Cramsessions guide
-Security+ Fast Pass
-other smaller guides.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

I'm with schase on this one. I thought TCat's Security + study guide was a little "off".

The following is a break down of the books I used to study:

Sybex Security + - ($49.99)
Exam Cram Security + Practice Questions - ($21.99)
Thompson Security + In Depth - ($4.99, got it on one of the back shelves of a book store)
Various free (if you consider all the spam I get free) study guides found around the net.
TCat's Security + Megapack ($59.00)

Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's comments! It looks like I've already got the materials I should need to pass this test: Sybex and ExamCram. I'm just looking for that one other material I can use that will push me over the edge to pass. I'm interested in the book published by CompTIA Press, but it's kinda pricey. I'm looking for someone that has gone through it to get their impressions. Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between the exams given at Prometric vs Vue?

I mostly use Vue - only because of their location in reference to me.

I found both to be pretty equal. I've heard nightmare stories on both facilities, mostly with computer issues. But personally I havn't had any problems with either.

for extra materials - Transcender exams would probably do it. The cramsession's guide is good, and I personally found the Security+ Fast Pass to be pretty good.

You cannot just read the Fast Pass and pass - it is more of a quick review of the material - for instance after reading the end of a thousand plus page book - you may be fuzzy on somethings mentioned early in. the Fast pass helps refresh that info.

good luck!

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

So no one has used the CompTIA Press book?

I went through Vue the first two times I took the exam. The exam was terrible both times. Tons of grammar and spelling mistakes, not to mention a lot of info that wasn't covered in materials I had used. I'm taking it from a Prometric site next because they opened one closer to me. Hopefully that will be better...

I don't believe the physical test will be any different between testing locations. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but the locations do not make up their own test. CompTia makes up a series of tests for one certification/test and gives it to the Locations to utilize.

Get a good practice exam before you go - I've found Transcender to be excellent, it's on the pricey side but you get what you pay for also.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

As far as practice guestions go, I didn't think Sybex was good at all. Even worse were practice questions I got from StudyExam4Less. However, the Exam Cram practice questions were great. I'll definitely check out Transcender too.

Still no thoughts on CompTIA Press???

never used them. Havn't heard to much about them either - for that matter I couldn't tell you how long they've been out.

Stuart
A+, Net+, Security+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back