Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compression Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjtucker1976

Technical User
Sep 7, 2006
US
Is there a way to adjust the compression setting in Netware 5. How could I go about compressing files not accessed in 15 days? I have a space dilemma.

Thanks

Files automatically compress after 14 days if not touched. That's the default setting. You can certainly increase or decrease it. This assumes that Compression is enabled and active, and you're not doing anything funky like setting don't compress flags. The compression engine launches a process at Midnight (default) to scan for any files that meet the criteria, then compresses them if they do.

One thing you could do, with a space dilemna, is make sure that files are not decompressing if they are already compressed. Do this with the "Set Convert Compressed to Uncompressed Option = 0". This will leave them compressed.

Also note that any file over 300MB will not be compressed at all. That's a hardcoded setting that you cannot do anything about.

marvin

thanks,

"Files automatically compress after 14 days if not touched. That's the default setting. You can certainly increase or decrease it. This assumes that Compression is enabled and active"

i do have compression running. Where do I change the settings from 14 days to 10 days?

Load Monitor
--> Settings --> File System --> (it's in there somewhere, I think it's called "days untouched before compression")

You'll see a whole section of options that control various compression options.

Marvin

monitor- server parameters- file system. i set it to 7 days. I hope this setting will hold me over until the new server comes.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back