Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compression ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcanfer

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
GB
I'm using a Compaq SSL2020 which offers 2:1 hardware compression and I've got BENT 8.5 for Win2000 setup to use this hardware compression.

However, do I just assume that I'm getting 2:1 compression on my backups or is there a way of actually checking this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Look how much is stored on one tape. This is the ammount of data without compression. You can find this at Devices->Slots then select a slot (with tape) ->properties-stat's. Bytes written is from the last overwrite.
Don't expect a 1:2 ratio though. In todays world of MP3 MPG JPG GIF etc.etc. much of stored data, even word-powerpoint-access files, are allready compressed. It's very data type depending which ratio will achieved.
GL

It is rare to get full quoted compression, it depends upon what you are backing up. Video and audio files rarely go below 2/3 of the origional size (sometimes not much at all), while plain text documents may get a lot smaller, some files compressed already may even end up larger!

I used to have a Compaq 4/16 DAT drive (until the server was nicked), but I rarely got more than 5.4GB on a tape (and then it was 5.6GB), so always take the quoted maximum with a metaphorical pinch of salt.

When we talk about NT files I would expect something like 1:1,3 to 1:1,5
/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back