Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compression and Errors question

Status
Not open for further replies.

artage

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
US
I use Juno and When I'm connected I check the status of my connection and I want to know what does the Compression Sent/Received, and Errors Sent/Received mean? I have Windows XP and I'm receiving a lot of errors compared to 0 errors Sent.

Hardware compression built into modems 'buffers' the data in compressed 'windows' while it is being sent/received over the connection and then decompresses before sending the data over COM (serial) port. The data is only in a compressed state 'modem to modem', not the complete connection. This extra overhead and buffering in the modem itself and uncompressed data being sent over the COM (serial) port increases latency.
compress - To make data take up less space. Archiving programs
do this, which means that files will take less time to transfer
with modems. Many modems now have the ability to automatically
compress the information they send and receive. [See also ar-
chive, data compression].

compression ratio - The ratio of the original size of data that
is sent to the compressed size. For example, a 3:1 compression
ratio means that the original data takes up 3 times the amount of
space as the compressed data, and a modem would transfer the data
3 times more quickly than if it was not compressed.
===================================
error - When there is line noise and one or more characters are
changed. This is especially noticeable when downloading or
uploading a program. In this case the error must be detected,
and the data must be re-sent (or else the file will be
destroyed). [line noise].

error control - The ability of a modem to notice errors in trans-
mission, and have any incorrect data re-sent.

error correction - (Error control is a more correct term,
since the modem does not correct incorrect data, it
just has it sent again).

error free - When referring to data transmission, error free
refers to communications equipment in which data is transmitted
perfectly. This is actually an impossible situation, but it is
possible to have data that is very, very close to error-free.

hi, thank for the explanation. however, you didnt give any solution.
i have the same problem. received a big number of errors, sending none. i use xp, us robotic 56 k flash. the odd thing is, if i use the connection from other computer its perfectly OK. I thought it could be a modem or window setup problem. in my computer, the dial up modem connected to isp, but when i open a web site, its really really slow, sometimes it does not open at all. when i open the connection icon, i found out about this errors received problem. i noticed that if i use the connection from other computer, theres should be any errors receeved at all (zero).
please help

i also need to add that i used this modem for quite a while (5 years) and never have any problems, then suddenly it happened when i tried to change back the connection from adsl (i have one but it was down for sometime thats why i had to use dial up again).
but the main problem is i think the errors that i received.

I think you should try this->

open network connections and then open up the property page of the connection you are using. On the 'General' tab of this page select 'Configure' underneath where it shows your currently selected modem. Disable 'Modem Compression'.
Next goto the 'Networking' tab of the properties page and click on the 'Settings' button that is situated underneath the 'Type of server I am calling' combo-box. Then *enable* 'Software compression'.
Sofware compression provides for a much larger pattern buffer than the one your in your modem as it uses available ram for it's buffer. :)

Also, come to think of it, it could be something got to do with IP compression. The option to enable or disable IP (or VJ header) compression is found on the networking tab of the connection property page. Select TCP/IP service in the list and then click on the properties button. Then click the advanced button and you will see the option available there.

Have you changed service providers? Did you have this modem working in XP prior? Captain brings up VERY useful info. But you may be connecting to v90 ISP thru 56k modem. you can use an init string to fix this.
I have noticed that my connection sometimes has 0 errors sent and 196 received! I have a writing on XP-56k-and dialup...let me find it...

I am having the same problems......I play games such as "Halo" and after a little bit i get like 100's-1000's of errors under Received....I really need to know what i need to do to fix this. Somebody PLEASE respond with a solution!

So far, this is what worked for me: Control panel> Network Connections > Properties of your dial up connection> Networking tab > PPP settings> You'll see three checkboxes.

Disabling the last check box ( negotiate multi-link for single-link connections) is what did it for me. I haven't had a single error since. I've been having from hundreds to occassional thousands of errors before this. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back