Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressing tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmobberley

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
GB
We are currently using Imitation DLT IV 35/70 tapes. The amount of data to backed up on our servers has surpassed 35GB, so the obvious thing to do is compress the tapes? Well I can't find help anywhere how to do this. In the 'compression type' option box, I changed it from Software to Harware(otherwise Software). This made no difference, and the tape drive is asking for another tape. Am I missing something? I thought about trying to format the tape to see if I could do it there, but the 'Format' option is greyed out in the menu.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

After further investigation of the log files, I have found that in fact 39GB has been "processed", and after calculating the amount using the compression ratios, the actual data amounts to 22.5GB ! Now I'm confused - I could understand it if the amount to be backed up was 60GB and it had been compressed to 40MB, so wouldn't fit on the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back