Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsalted

Technical User
Jul 28, 2006
GB
On my Vista laptop, (Sony Vaio) I had to install winace so I could uncompress a .gz file.

I then uninstalled it. now my ordinary ZIP files cannot be opened by Vista?

you can right click a file and compress it, but when you double click a zip file, vista has no idea what to do with it? the web service dialogue opens up and recommends winace or winzip..

could someone be so kind and tell me is there a simple resolve for this?

Right click on the file, select properties, select the General Tab, Click the "Opens With" radio button. Choose WinZip.

If that does solve the problem, Open Control Panel, Default Programs, Set associations.

From there you will need to ensure the file extensions are associated with WinZip.

Good Luck.

Winzip isnt installed on the laptop, never was,

windows vista used its own zip facililty... ?

Remove the association of Zip files from winace.
Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations, or uninstall the program.

This talks about System Restore as a solution, and goes on to discuss zipfldr.dll which is the Vista equivalent for compressed folders.

If you need to do a file association in Vista

There are several pages in the link, and I haven't read them all.

Maybe reregistering the dll file works?

XP won't open or create ZIP files.
thread779-883004

Thanks, none of these options work,

in default programs, the only listing I have for zip is

.zfsendtotarget
unknown application

I click change program, but it cant find a program to associate with, this is most annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back