Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compress/uncompress utility in Unix ---- problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

parani

Programmer
Nov 2, 2006
IN
Hi,

I have a problem..... Ususally I am sending big amounts of data from windows clients to an application server runing Unix using ftp utilities...... now I am looking for a way to be able to compress files in unix.... ftp them to a windows client..... and uncompress them in a windows environment..... does anyone have an idea if there is a compress/uncompress utility that runs in both unix and windows, or even an ftp utility that handles these requirements? thanks

take care

You can also try using PKzip. They have a version for Unix and Windows. It works great!

Hi,

why don't you use SAMBA to allow your windows pc to view and copy files to windows server ?

A. Direct Answer

Sounds like you have a good grip on the unix zip and copy over to windows. Here's how I would handle the unzip on windows:

Install winzip command-line-tools
(
Then use the (WinZip) zip commands on the windows box to unpack.

B. Possible Enhancement

If you want to automate this action, you could:

Install KIX
(
Then write a kix script to unzip the distribution on windows.

C. Alternative Method

If you would like the whole thing to be managed by a single command executed on the UNIX server, you could use the following:

Install ssh and rsync on the UNIX server
Install cygwin on the windows platform.
Install cygwin ssh and rsync packages.

Then write a script to do something like the following on the unix server:

rsync -vrz --rsh=&quot;<path to>/ssh -l <usr> <svr>&quot; SRC TGT

This way you dont have to bother about zip, ftp or anything else, the remote file is synchronised with the local unix source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back