Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compress/Repair Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertNo1

Technical User
Sep 30, 2007
Hi Guys, got a question. In the past we have had problems compressing our Access databases, on occasion macros have been deleted, and keys have been dropped on large files (100k). We are currently running MS Office 2003 has anyone ever heard of this? I checked Advanced Search but either I wasn’t entering the right phrase or no one has posted the problem.

We are using the internal/manual process (Tools; Database Utilities; Compact and Repair Databases).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx much,
Trudye

I'm going to have to be honest and say I've never experienced any similar problems.

How big is your DB? If it's close to (or over) the 2gb limit then unusual behaviour becomes not so unusual...

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

It's also worth (and by that I mean best to) taking a backup of any DB that you plan to perform any maintenence on just to be on the safe side.

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Thanks so much HarleyQuinn for responding. We have been manually compressing it to keep it from reaching the limit. When the compress was scheduled, it was not at the limit.

You are 100% correct a backup is always best. The problem is if a production job calls the newly compresse database and the compress did not go well production starts blowing up all over the place. And as well all know that get very, very UGLY!

Thanx again,
Trudye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back