Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compound System control

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEMIAZ

Technical User
Oct 16, 2003
GB
Hi

How are people controlling the Event Server on Win2k with version 6.7.1?

It appears to be very difficult to not end up with an orphaned task as the net pause/stop options have no time out value.

It all works ok (but frustratingly slow) when done via the Management Console but from a script we are limited.

Any solutions out there and any real improvesments in the later release (which we won't be using this year!)

Thanks
Tim

Solution #1 Use Linux
Solution #2 Use UNIX.
Both require current releases.
Slow in MC could be caused by running maps or waiting for 3rd party connection(s) to close.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

BocaBurger
Unfortunately I have to live in the mundane real world! I dream of linux/unix and up-to-date releases.

Is it really better on later releases or is that just marketing spin and why are the things we really want always just out of reach.

Old cynic

New features, map profiler, debugger, page size setter, ability to run multiple processes within one Event Server. Better XML handling. Support for newer OS'.

Not all is marketing.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

The problem I have found with 6.7.1 is that the orphaned task occurs after an Event server has had many errors over a number of days or that it is not releasing a resource such as an adapter connection. Ensure that you have the adapter Idle setting set to a sensible value.
On windows 2000 I use PTREE to check for orphaned processes when closing the event server. This allows the process to be killed before restarting.

Thanks JanHes - I've not come across Ptree before.

It's part of the windows2000 resource kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back