Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Component Types or Board Schematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrenator

Technical User
Apr 28, 2010
GB
Hello Tek-Tippers,

My first time on the PC side of tek-tips so I'm expecting at least one helpful answer and a telling-off from someone else for not being a professional and that they're fed up of clearing up the mess people like me leave! Ah ha!

Here's my problem; I've been given the task of repairing a motherboard, which was plugged in while wet which caused a short out at the point of power input.
The short caused what looks/looked like a channel gate to burn out.
I'd have no problem replacing the part but I can't get any part codes from the decroded blob of ash which the part was reduced to.

What I'd like is: does anyone know a good source to find schematics or component lists for motherboards? This was for a HP Pavillion DM4-3000 Beats edition.

NB: I'd not like to beaten by something with beats in its name, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gently does it. If gently doesn't do it, smash it with the hammer.

Why? You will not find the schematics anywhere, as far as I can tell, they don't release them. Why? because they don't consider it a repair item, they consider it a swap out item. Also, there is no way to determine what damage it may have caused to an internal chip, or that corrosion won't continue to occur after you swap out the one part, your best bet is to go someplace like here and buy one for 75.00 usd or so.

I don't know of anyone that actually fixes motherboards. They are a throw-away items.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I don't really have the option of replacement and I'd rather see this through.

Corrosion won't continue, measures have been taken.

Gently does it. If gently doesn't do it, smash it with the hammer.

I don't really have the option of replacement
I think you do/will.
Good luck.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Have to agree on the replacement suggestions. Not only will you find it impossible to get a parts list/schematic but the parts may also be nearly impossible to find.
I am a former chip level replacer that has given up the trade due to the issues and the difficulty of dealing with modern board production practices.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I still do component level repair on some items. Replacing the cmos eprom on a laptop board is easy and easy to find, but almost everything else is not worth it. Electrolytic capacitors, or regulators on a desktop board, sure. But those are standard off the shelf electronic parts I can order from MCM or digi or something. If you don't know what the part number is, good luck, if you find a place that will source schematics,post it here. you used to be able to use sams photofacts, but not on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back