Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

component troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkrider

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
Okay, this is probably going to end up being a long thread, so I'll just try and go step by step with it. I just am hoping some people can chime in to help me thinking outside the box. A friend of mine had a PC that he suddenly stopped working. He said he heard a "pop" and then he couldn't any signal to his monitor. He brought it to me and I began testing some of the components from his PC in mine. They were both Socket A motherboards. His was running an Athlon 1700 and mine an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton.

First, I put his CPU in my system and it wouldn't boot. My motherboard is a DFI LanParty with jumperless CPU settings, so that shouldn't have been an issue. I then tried my CPU in his system and it wouldn't boot either. I wasn't convinced that his mainboard supported my process or didn't need some jumper changes, but I convinced him that if he was going to buy a new CPU he should go ahead and upgrade anyway.

I wanted to check to make sure that his RAM was good as well so I plugged it into mine. It wouldn't start after that either, which left me even more perplexed. After that, I stuck my memory back in my motherboard, and now it won't boot either. I have reseated everything I can think of, tried different DIMM slots and even reset the CMOS jumper. Is it conceivable that bad memory could screw up and entire motherboard and even other components?

If anyone can shine a light on the subject, please reply to this thread. Maybe we will all learn something.

It is quite likely that memory can fail in such a way to take other things out when it is put in another M/B.
You are always at risk when you put suspect stuff in an operating system.
The pop was significant. It was a high current flow moment, possibly the power supply, but it can be M/B, CPU, memory, serial ports, line drivers, video card, or anything else installed. Fixing from this point will need tools or luck. Check capacitors for bulges and chips for signs of high heat.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well, I got to agree with edfair...

the first thing I would have done was to switch PSU from the working one to the other, as this is the mostlikely culprit, and ruling it out of the equation makes searching for other problems that much easier...

secondly, as you switched the CPU from the bad system to the OK system, there is the chance that the CMOS/BIOS needed resetting and thus would not POST...

thirdly, never switch components while the mobo gets power... even if the PC is off, and the outlet plug is attached, the mobo gets power constantly... you can permanently damage it...

Now I would RESET the CMOS by taking out the battery and let it sit for more than an Hour, unplug the PC and hold the PowerOn button for a couple of minutes, depleting the Capacitors... Then double check all Connectors to the MOBO and peripherials... Double check the seating of the CPU and HS-Fan and if it is plugged in correctly... replace the battery, unplug any extranious cards at this point, replug the power cord and try starting the PC...

report back if the POST went alright or not...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I appreciate all the help guys. Unfortunately, it still isn't working, and something is toast. I only have one PC that supports all the current components, so I'll have to take it somewhere to have someone figure out what is still good. Just so you'll know, I had the motherboard unplugged and battery removed when I tried everything at first, so I that shouldn't have been the issue. The problem never occurred in MY PC until I tested his RAM. Barring untimely coincidence, that is my leading suspect for the problem.

I am just hoping not every component in my PC is not fried. If I've lost the MB, CPU AND RAM it will be a heck of an overhaul. I do however need to check out that memory before I put it in a new motherboard that I had my friend order along with a new CPU.

I also forgot to test that PSU, so that had actually slipped my mind. Perhaps I'll take all of those components somewhere and see what I can find.

The mystery continues, but thanks for sure.

A pop was heard? typical this is an indication of power supply failure and when a cheap PSU fails is often takes out the hard drive making it short to ground.
That is why often when you plug in a new PSU it also goes POP! (the dead short caused by the first failure)
Take back to bare bones.
CPU and ram are rarely effected by PSU failures (I say rarely)
Hard drives first
CDrom devices second
Motherboard last

Of course it could be one or all of these, SORRY!

Also note* heatsink orientation (recess in the base of the heatsink fitted so it is located over the raised cam box of the CPU socket) if incorrectly fitted instant overheating and possible CPU failure may occur.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back