Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complicated SQL Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjtien

Programmer
May 22, 2001
AU
I want to select a query grouped by a policy number but can't seem to do it any way.

For example:
Say I have a table with 2 coloums-
Policy_Number Policy_Name
1 policy1
1 policy2
2 policy3
2 policy4
3 policy1
3 policy2
3 policy3

and I want the query to return
Policy_Number Counter
1 1
2 0
3 0

which is selecting the number of times the policy names in a policy number is contained in another policy number. In this case policy number 1 includes policy 1 and 2 which are both contained in policy number 3, so counter for policy number 1 increments. Likewise for policy numbers 2 and 3 but their policies are not contained in any other policy numbers, thus their counter remains zero.

How do I execute this query in SQL alone? No PL is allowed...

Would be great if I can get some help. Thanks!

You'd have to use it for every item, but
Select Count(*) from <table> where Policy_Number = &quot;<value>&quot;
might be useful (and tedious...)

Good luck!
~Melissa

Hi,

I hope I've understood your problem right: You want to count the number of times Policy# appears against different numbers?

Try this:

SELECT (xName), Count(xNumber)
FROM Table
WHERE xName in (Select distinct xName from Table)
GROUP BY xName;

This assumes all data in Table and xName is Policy1 etc, and xNumber is 1,2,3 etc. I tried it in Access using the data you have above and it returned:

Policy 1 2
Policy 2 2
Policy 3 2
Policy 4 1

, but that was in Access!

Give it a go if it's what you were after.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back