Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complicated situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

omesk

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
Hello everyone.

Here is the situation at hand. I have a friend who is setting up video cameras to monitor his restaurant. Now these cameras are going to be connected to a new computer which will record the video to the hard drive. He also has one other computer which is also the cash register. These two computers will be on a LAN with a DSL connection to the internet.

So what he wants to do is be able to monitor the video and the cash register from a remote location, not necessarily at the same time. He wants to be able to monitor this over the internet with a DSL connection. I am planning to use PCAnywhere for this project for the remote viewing.

Now, what I cannot decide on is how to set up the network at the restaurant so that it will allow a remote connection over the internet and still be secure. I was thinking of installing Windows 2000 server on the computer with the video cameras and setting up a VPN so he could connect over a VPN and then use PC Anywhere over the VPN connection.

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction or if you have any ideas on a better setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.