Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex Win2Kpro/Linux Mandrake dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroskliq

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I'm looking for a way to accomplish this without having to redo my Win2k installation...anybody tried this:

I have three physical drives: 15 gig on ide0 and two 30 gigs that are striped on a raid controller.

The 15 has win98 on it, and this drive is called "c:" by both win98 and win2k. The 60 gig striped set has win2kpro on it, and is called "d:" by win2kpro.

I want to rid myself of win98 and install Linux Mandrake on the 15 gig drive on ide0. Only problem is that the win2k boot loader is on the 15 gig drive on ide0. From all I've seen, if I reformat the 15 gig on ide0, I loose the boot loader and in essence my win2k installation as well. I really hope I'm wrong here, and there's a way around this.

Has anybody successfully done this before? Thanks!

The best thing you can do is buy some boot software, such as System Commander from V-Communications. This will take care of most of the complexities for you. Make sure you update (or create!) your Win2K rescue disk!

Update your rescue disk, handle your installation, then restore the boot loader. You don't need to totally reinstall Win2K - just run Win2K Setup's Repair tool to restore the Win2K boot sector and Boot Loader.

Thanks all! I managed to take care of without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back