Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmorancbt

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
US
I have a report I am designing. It is basically a payroll/commission report. Here is the challenge...

For a given item (large ticket) sold, there are multiple types of commissions paid out. I have all the data, percentages, etc. working perfectly. The challenge is that on any given report, I must show YTD, current period, and future earnings based on sales not yet closed/completed.

Additionally, a partial payment may have been made in the current period against future earnings down the road. Once again, all of this is being captured fine.

The challenge is that a single line of data - across the various joins - can have a commission item from a prior period and a future period.

My plan was to have a report with a 3 distinct sub-reports (sales rep main report) and 3 subreports:
1) YTD detail
2) Current period detail
3) Future earnings

The data for each is basically the same. I want to use the same detail report for each sub-report and simply alter the recordsource based on the current pay period and the sales rep data in the primary (top-level) report. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to alter a series sub-reports that use the same underlying base report.

My alternate method - where I am currently leaning - is to run a process and create a temporary reporting table prior to running the report. I can create a query of all the necessary data - YTD, current, and future earnings. As I loop through the DB, I can take the data from a given line and create any required records (ytd data, current period data, future earnings data). This way, a single line item that contains a preclose commission and a future commission would result in 2 reporting records.

I would then run a straight report with sorting and grouping to keep my YTD, current, and future data separate.

Any ideas on the sub-report and how to manage that?

Thanks.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back