Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex query

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonburi

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
An existing DB I am working with was created using a field for each part of a date instead of one date field. With a date field it is easy enough to write a query to get everything greater than a certain date. Is there a good way to write a query against each column (year, julian_day, hour, minute, second) to return values after a certain date. Assuming I want everything after date X The only thing I can think of in pseudo code is

If yearDB > yearX OR
yearDB = yearX and julianDayDB > julianDayX OR
yearDB = yearX and julianDayDB = julianDayX and
hourDB > hourX OR
etc.

Written in SQL as a WHERE clause with the above AND/OR groups.

How about something like the following:

Code:
WHERE CONVERT(DATETIME, CAST(table.monthportion AS CHAR(2)) + '/' + CAST(table.dayportion AS CHAR(2)) + '/' + CAST(table.yearportion AS CHAR(4))) > GETDATE()

another way

declare @minDate as int
set @minDate = year(X)*512 + datepart(dy,X)
where yearDB*512 + dayDB > @minDate

I make a multiply by 512 and not 366 as the computer can do a left move fo the number(512=2 power 9) of nine bits, which is a lot quicker then the multiply

--------------------------------------------------
[highlight]Django[/highlight] [thumbsup]
bug exterminator
tips'n tricks addict

Thank you both for the suggestions.

MarkButler:
I tried an extended version of this that included all of the time portions of a date from enterprise manager on my test server (MS SQL Server), and it worked like a champ. Then I went to try it in the production system (Sybase) and from isql it won't let me type the whole thing in. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and code it to see how it works. I ran a profiler session while I ran this query then my original idea. Your suggestion required fewer reads.

tektipdjango:
I guess if I wanted to try this as a full test I have to find the power of 2 nearest to 31,622,400 (366 d/y * 24h/d * 60 m/h * 60 s/m)? (2^25) That takes care of the years . . . then repeat for DD, HH and MM. Am I building a lot of error into this by modifying what you initally posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back