Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex query with many joins and formulae

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaurd

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
GB
Hi

I am in a major pickle.

A while ago, I created a complex query, rather unprofessionally. The query has many tables joined togethers. Ie FQ 1998 Q1, FQ 1998 Q2, FQ 1998 Q3, FQ 1998 Q4 up until 2002.

The tables are joined by a foreign key company_details_id. Which is linked to the table - company details.

I have then attempted to calculate formulae, ie..
NWC Growth 1998 Q2: [Net Working Capital 1998 Q2]/[Net Working Capital 1998 Q1]-1
NWC Growth 1998 Q3: [Net Working Capital 1998 Q3]/[Net Working Capital 1998 Q2]-1
NWC Growth 1998 Q4: [Net Working Capital 1998 Q4]/[Net Working Capital 1998 Q3]-1
etc etc....

I made about 7 queries all in this way. All calculating formulae.

I have then added them into seperate reports.

Then created a report with all these reports with the formulae as sub-queries. This way,, I can show all the calculations for one company together.

Firstly, is there a far more professional way to do this?
Secondly, it is very complex and very embedded. Therefore if I need to change one thing, I have alot of work cut out.
Thirdly, I cannot do outer joins as there are so many tables involved that Access 97 does not allow it

Can anyone help me make make head or tail of this and find a better solution?

My knowledge of Access VB is near enough non-existent. I understand Acess Queries quite well and also have SQL knowledge.

thank you in advance

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back