Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex Path warning question? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistercitizen

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
AU
Some time when I use a pathfinder function, illustrator displays a message:

"The filter produced one or more complex paths that may fail to preview or print"

I find this message to be rather dubious. When illustrator says this "may" occur, what is the real implication of this message? Is Illustrator just trying to make me paranoid?

Is there anyway of avoiding this message and the perils of which it speaks?

I'm afraid not. I too get the same error on complex pathfinder joins but have never seen anything fail to print. To date, it has never affected me.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

I am pretty sure this is referring to memory. if Illustrator does not have enough memory to render your art, it will change to Preview Mode. In the same situration, if your printer does not have enough memory it may fail to print.

Basically your final art just may be too complex for the above operations.

Sometimes this occurs with only 400-500 points in my image. I've stuff seen far more complex than that printed. What gives? Is it up to the RIP whether or not it will print on press?

Just how seriously should I take the warning? I've never had problems (you guys haven't either), but it still makes me a little nervous.

on a decent machine and RIP, it should never be a problem.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

on a decent machine and RIP, it should never be a problem."

>>> OK, but if I send my file to press, and there is a problem, is the pre-press house liable?

If they fail to do a press check and compare it to a comp you send along with the file, it is most definitly their fault. It's very important to send a printed comp along with the file. That or a nice big .jpg, the only risk with that is I've seen idiots try to go to print with the .jpg itself.

Thanks for the tip Jaquan - makes common sense.

Although I've witnesssed enought printers who lack that, though!

I try to make all my stuff idiot-proof. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back