Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely secure database...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue77

Technical User
Nov 1, 2001
GB
Hello all

I would like to set up my database such that users cannot access it by going through Windows Explorer. Rather, they must use the shortcut I have set up on the their desktops. By using the shortcut they are switched onto the workgroup file and prompted to enter username and password.
Some users have deleted the shortcuts (don't ask why) and just go through Explorer so that they don't have to log on.

Is there a way of doing this or have I just missed one of the basics in securing a database?

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Also looking for a simple transaction log to see who does what to the data and keep a history of it.

Many thanks in anticipation

Nick

If a user can "log on" to your db "properly" (use log on name & password) there is no problem using explorer. If htey log on bypassing the dialog box for name and password -(they end-up logged on as Admin) you have not implemented security properly. MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Hi Michael

By going through Explorer, they are by-passing the switch within the shortcut to the workgroup information file that contains all the user names and passwords.

The switch looks like this:

("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\Server1\BPUWH\Consult\BROTS Ver 2.1.mdb" /WRKGRP "\\Server1\BPUWH\Consult\Traffico.mdw")

Even the "Admins" user has a password.

Going through Explorer, they open the database using the default workgroup information file that comes with Access.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow here Mike, but what do I have to do to make sure this doesn't happen? The switch in the shortcut target is the vital thing here.

Cheers
Nick

No. The "Vital" thing is make sure that YOUR db simply doesn't open using the default workgroup. Typically, the "real' workgroup does not grant ANY permissions to the default users and groups, therefore using a default workgroup doesn't allow any access to the database.

It would appear from your post and followup that you have no real understanding of how to set up security for Ms. Access. I would suggest that you get one of the third party books on Me. Access and CAREFULLY study the section(s) on workgroup security. Most of the better resources have a very clear step-bystep process for this. It is somewhat convoluted, and demanding but the results are quite good.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Very well
Thanks Mike. I will have another look at my book and try see what I missed.
Cheers
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back