Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely remove server from the domain so another can take it's place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Reed

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2017
US
I have a SQL server serverA that is being retired due to age and 2 databases that are being moved to a new server. What I want to do is take serverA completely off of the domain and bring the new server online, rename it to ServerA, then install SQL and name it's instance the same as the server that is being retired. We have hundreds of Crystal reports and do not want to have to modify them to access the data on the new server so we want to just bring it online as if it was the old server. I believe I have the steps covered but just want to double check my list here with other IT pro's...

Original ServerA: After backing up the databases remove from the Domain through the usual method and rename and or shut down.

DC 1: -AD Users and Computers, Computers Folder - delete Server A

BDC: -AD Users and Computers, Computers Folder - delete Server A

DNS: Remove all ServerA records on DC 1 and BDC in forward look up zones, reverse look up zones including any PTR records

DHCP: Delete any leases and or reservations related to ServerA etc.

Rename the new server to ServerA

Attach to domain

Install SQL server and name instance to same name as SQL instance on retired server

Restore databases

Anything I am missing to remove the old computer from the network so that the new one comes up seamlessly?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming you have this lined out by now but I would have done it a little easier. We have a daily backup of all of our servers. That software can restore bare metal to dissimilar hardware. I would have ran a backup, restored to the new server, shut down old server, inserted new server, and done. Always more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Or, create an alias 'ServerA' that points to 'ServerB'.

I'm not sure how that would work with SQL (this article suggests it should work quite well), but using aliases is the way forward.

A file server might be called PLDNWINFS01 (Physical - London - Windows - File Server - 01) but you'll have an alias 'LDNFS01' pointing to that host name which you use in drive mappings GPOs/scripts. If you replace the server with, e.g, a VM in Liverpool called VLIVWINFS02 (there may already be a VLIVWINFS01) you can just point the 'LDNFS01' alias at VLIVWINFS02. No drive mappings need to be changed, no scripts need to be edited, and so on.

(DFSN+R can also have a similar effect.)

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back