Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely disabling AVG Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
Is there a way to completely disable (i.e. all functionality) AVG Free without uninstalling it? I would like to see if that will let my backups run quickly.

Thanks,
Eliezer

You could try disabling any AVG services that are running. (Start, right click on "My Computer", select "Manage", expand "Services and Applications", and select "Services". I've got "AVG8 E-mail Scanner" and "AVG8 WatchDog" running on my system.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

cMeagan, I tried killing all "AVG" processes and services from their respective screens (Task Manager and the Services/Applications screen) but they would just spin up again.

I decided I need to run a backup already - it's now over 48 hours in running.

Any other ideas? Anyone???

Thanks,
Eliezer

It sounds like something else is going on then. When I stop the AVG services using Start, right click on "My Computer", select "Manage", expand "Services and Applications", and select "Services" and then disable the services after they are stopped they don't start again on their own.

If it were me, I'd completely uninstall AVG Free 8.5, manually clean out any leftover entries in the registry, delete any leftover folders and files, reboot, and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

When you say: "disable a service", do you mean "Stop" the service? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

No, disable is different than stop. Stop the service first, and then double click on the service and under "Startup type" on the General tab select Disabled from the dropdown menu. Once its disabled, even if you reboot the service stays stopped.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying. The problem is that "STOP" wasn't an option on one of the services (I think the AVGWatchDog). Yes, I'm an admin on the PC. :-(

The AVG E-mail Scanner service depends on the AVG WatchDog service. Did you stop and disable the E-mail scanner service first? You could also try booting into safe mode and disabling the AVG WatchDog service from there.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back