Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete Hard Drive Backup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJoel

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
US
I am looking for a good program that will work on as many versions of windows (also DOS) as possible and allow me to make complete hard drive backups. Mainly for the purposes of making a backup of customer's systems so I can tranfer the content to a new hard drive without losing anything.

I (of course) want to keep it inexpensive :)
Thanks for suggestions,

You could also try Norton Ghost, It is Great to use for a network backup, Unlike drive image.

xxcopy ( freeware ) from ,

Forum

Info

Start > Programs > MS-DOS Prompt .
Copy the command in item 1 below & click paste in MS-DOS & click Enter , you
get a copy of everything . No need to close any programs down .
2nd command excludes Windows .
3rd command copies Windows only .
4th command excludes Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Adjust drive letters to suit .

1 . XXCOPY C:\ D:\ /CLONE

2 . XXCOPY C:\ D:\ /CLONE /Xwindows
3 . xxcopy C:\Windows D:\Windows

4 . xxcopy C:\ D:\ /Clone /x\windows\temp*
If you don't want to confirm all the overwrites ( you get 3 choices Y,N,A, Y ( yes )
overwrites that file , N ( No ) , A ( All ) overwrites everthing ) use the /yy switch after Clone .
Eg. XXCOPY /CLONE /YY C:\ X:\

Below applies if you want to make the new hard drive your main drive ( usually C )
Use the startup disk to boot the computer and when you are at the A:\
prompt type sys c: and press Enter. The required boot information will
be copied to the new disk and you have a working copy of the old hard
disk .
If the partition is not active , use fdisk , option 2 .

I have used ghost for several years without any problems. In that time I've built several new computers and added many new hard drives. Everytime, I've used ghost and ghost explorer to keep my system(s) in-line with the last one. I tried "drive image" once it seemed OK but have gone back to ghost and use it to create an uncorrupted image(s) of other peoples systems that I can get back to if all he!! breals loose. You can put it (the ghost image) on another partition then hide the partition from prying eyes.

I personally use ghost as a system backup on a monthly basis with a couple of recent backups as a percaution...ever deleted, overwrote or had a file/directory corrupt? That's where ghost explorer comes to the rescue. Just open a backup locate the file/directory and restore...viola! I believe you can also automate regular backups/images over networks with the newest versions though I'm still using an older version that does not have that ability.

In your case it would be easy to duplicate several disks from one generic image then simply modify them for specific users once installed. Then create an updated ghost to fall back on...if you want!?

Additional: I've never heard of the xxcopy listed by jmatt, I'm always interested in new "free" solutions...they have a habit of being better than the "paid-for" products on occassion!...thx! I'll give it a try.

I find "Drive Copy vers 3" from PowerQuest Corporation works well when installing new drives for clients. It requires the old drive and the new drive to be hooked up in the same machine. It allows you to adjust the destination partition sizes either automatically or manually. I've used it for years and have had no problems EXCEPT when there has been an error on either drive,which is good.

For NetWare techies it will even clone a NetWare hard drive even though the software does not officially support this. Does take longer though.

Mike

Ghost will copy drives, partitions, even non dos ones, locally, over a network, whatever, even via USB with the right cable. It also allows resizing of partitions if needed, supports SCSI, USB, and IDE drives including burners to directly burn an image for a restore, and will restore the image as well. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

To JIm
I just checked out on google for ghost as I coudlnt remeber who produced it and the PCworld site did not rate it too hightly, they didnt give a price either to compare with Drive Image which they did rate I am confused and broke any other ideas.
Thanks
Shirl[flowerface]ey
[sunshine] Learn something new every day.

A) You should be able to get a copy (of Norton Ghost or Sys Works with Ghost) on ebay for $20-$30 - possibly less.

B) If your library has a copy of Upgrading and repairing pcs (Mueller) 11TH edition, WITH the CD, you can get copies of QUE versions of drive image and partition magic.
I have used these on windows 95 and 98 for drive to drive imaging. I do not know about using it with CD's, you'd have to check that. I also do not know about its compatibility with later operating systems.

c) Re Ghost reliability - You have weigh your judgement of the posts above against your judgement of a magazine review.
I've used Ghost to clone a simple ME system - again drive to drive - without any trouble. I have trouble with the cd part, but I think that is because I do not know how to use it with cds, not because the program is bad.

Well i must admit I do give more credence to posts on this site han a mag, tis just that the pennies are few at the moment and I am doing a back up just by copying everything in files to CDs, but this wouldnt prevent what happened in November when my hard drive failed completely. So I need t o back up all programs that I havent got disks for and make a boot disk. I have NAV 2001 but it wont let me make a rescue set of floppies, I had my drive tested and it seemed OK so it must be Norton wrong somehow.
That is one reason I am reluctant to buy more Norton stuff, Also the Anti virus let thru bugbear last year. I dont know what else to do,
Will check out ebay and other sites see if I can get something for a reasonable price
thanks for the input.
Shirl[flowerface]ey
[sunshine]
Learn something new every day.

For anti-virus I use Grisoft's AVG 6.
You can get a personal use copy free at
All anti-virus software will let some through, just be sure to check for updates once or twice a week.

Michael

For another possibility to virus check your system, see mulga's comment in thread615-467647.

I also use avg on a computer at home.

If you're in US and want to try McAfee as an alternative to Norton, you could watch the Sunday papers for rebate specials. (That also might be a possibility for Norton products-at the moment everything seems to be tied to purchases of tax programs, but I have seen pretty good deals after rebate on both company's products.)

Ok Thanks to all I will check some of these out, I run 2 machines a mac and a PC I already have MacAfee on my iMac it came with my .mac subscription, The Norton for my Mac was about twice as expensive as it is 4PeaSeas. so I rejected that.
I live in Uk and notice we do not always get very good deals, there is one for Ashampoo at the moment $9 for three progs that they want £20 for one here, mind you not sure which versions are being offered on the US deal.
Still I digress.

I will probably be back but thansk again you are all stars.
Shirl[flowerface]ey

[sunshine] Learn something new every day.

Shirleyowl
I see you've been on the system today-don't know if you're still on and will see this but......

In regard to the relative difficulties of getting things in the UK.
If:
a) You've not gotten anything for your drive copying yet
b) The drive image/partition magic that works on win95/98 would be useful to you

There is an ebay auction ending a little after 11:30 PDT on May 25 for Upgrading and Repairing PCs 11th edition with a cd. (I've not had any experience with this seller-as usual the risks of ebay are yours.)
Two caveats for you when you're searching:

One-Several versions of the book have cds or dvds. ONLY the 11th edition cd contains the drive image and partition magic programs.

Two-In regard to the 11th edition-watch for ebook that does not have the cd. There have been several UK ebook listings, but only one hardcopy that I've seen.

Whether it's this or some other way-hope you get your problem solved-I know it's frustrating not to have the tools you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back