Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complete Blank Screen When Logging In

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakatz

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2005
US
Anyone ever see this before? . . .

I have a user who has logged into her PC. When she logs in she manages to get the network login script and the task bar displays quickly and then just ask quickly, it goes away, followed by the login script box going away (as it should). What is left is just her desktop background (a blue background), and absolutely NOTHING else. WEIRD.

To make matters worse, I attempted to boot the machine into "SAFE MODE" - but got the same thing (without the login script of course) - but the task bar quickly shows up and then goes away. You still get the "SAFE MODE" labels on each of the corners of the screen, but NOTHING else (no icons, no nothing), is on the screen.

Both in STANDARD and SAFE MODE, you can bring up the "Task Manager" - but nothing appears to be running in the "Applications" tab and a handful of services appear in the "Services" tab.

Not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you get the same results when you log in as administrator?
It could be a user account problem.

I've seen this once before due to malware - heres a long-winded (sorry) paste from an earlier post:

If you can run regedit from ctrl-alt-del - task manager - run, then look for this:
<<>>>
Do you have a "debugger" value at the following key? -- If so - delete the debugger value.
The key is -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Explorer.exe

<<an explanation>>>
35. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options registry key (Windows NT/2000/XP)

A subkey can be added to this regkey by the name of a legitimate application, for example Explorer.exe. In the Explorer.exe subkey create a string value called Debugger, its value data containing the path to a file, say "%Windows%\baddie.exe" , and baddie.exe will be executed every time an instance of explorer.exe is launched.
<<>>>

taken from this website (good anti-malware tips):
<<<>>>

The point being was that a debugger value is present associated with the explorer.exe that prevents it from running. placed there by malware. try searching for it and let me know.

I was just reading on your problem and I think I have a malaware problem on my pc too. Question for jimp56, I'm on safe mode, in regedit and what exactly should I type on my "find" line? I typed <<>>> and came up empty. Did I miss something?

If at first you don't succeed, reboot!

I went into the Regestry, HKEY_local _machine,\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ but there is no Explorer.exe! I did find an entry labeled "Your Image File Here Without a Path" and this entry does have a Debugger entry. Type: REG_SZ. DATA:ntsd d. Does any of this make any sense?

Never mind my last note. The PC I'm using right now has the same entry in the regestry but doesn't have the problem that my problem-pc is having. I'm still lost.

Have you tried to do a repair from the console? Be sure to backup the my documents folder to C.

I've just got a user with the exact same problem. The taskbar shows up for a split millisecond, the sound file plays half way then stops.. and all vanishes to an empty desktop. I can launch the RUN, CMD and do anything I want, but launching EXPLORER.EXE has same result as logging in. Everything else on the computer seem functional.

I've ran Spy-bot, Ad-Aware, Hijackthis and removed all found spyware which this user did have.

New profiles and safe mode is also bugged, so this rules out bad drivers and/or devices. I'm hoping that those spyware fanatics haven't started playing with the root kits....

&quot;In space, nobody can hear you click...&quot;

Ok, It's solved. I found some other posts about this issue and I did two things, but I'm not sure which one corrected it:

1) I ran SFC, inserted the Win2K CD and let it go.

2) Ran a re-reg of IE modules as per the Bcastner's post:
Make a .CMD file called IE_FIX.CMD and insert the following:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

The MSJAVA might fail if you only use the JRE Sun Java.

&quot;In space, nobody can hear you click...&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back