Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compleate Dead HW acceleration Radeon 9200

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsTo

Technical User
Sep 24, 2005
SK
My radeon 9200 fail HW acc. Now it works with hw acc compleatly off. New drivers freeze imediatly after start windows... older works for few minutes then freeze.
any ideas?
thnx

------------------------------------------------------------
irrelevant (may be) backgorund of problem

I had few troubles with radeon9200 when my father played civilization3 - lines over monitor and graphic dots..
I fixed it with cooler on graphic itself all was fine ....

Then (month) my PC just die I tried to change every piece in mobo but it fail to boot, after few hours of rest it get back on and again freeze... and cant boot for hours...
So I buy new mobo+CPU..
Can you imagine my surprise when I put all together new parts and find out not only mobo was bad but + Graphic Card join it

Reseat the card making sure it's fully seated, make sure its fan is running and its heatsink is securely attached, and clean off any dust built up on its fan and heatsink, from the CPU's heatsink and fan, and from inside the case.

If no luck, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan. If that works, then the system needs additional case cooling.

If still no good, then see if the card works in another system, or another card works in your system. If no to the former, and yes to the latter, then your card is bad. Replace it.

OsTo,

The scenario that you describe where your PC will only boot when cold and then freezes up when hot sounds very much like the cause was a dying power supply.

If you're certain that the power supply caused your old motherboard to no longer function, then it is possible that the power supply also shorted out your video card.

I hope that you've replaced that power supply with something from a reputable company.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back