Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compiling VB.net programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan

MIS
Oct 7, 1998
US
If I create a program in VB.net (Express) what is necessary to compile it? Do I need to purchase the entire Visual Studio or is there some other way?
Dan

Visual Studio builds your program every time you hit the Run button. To manually build, hit Ctrl+Shift+B, or go to the Build menu and select Build Solution.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I probably wasn't clear enough. What I am interested in doing is to create an msi program to give a copy of the program to someone else without giving the source code.
Dan

You probably want to ask in forum1867, as this forum is for VB Classic rather than VB.NET

You may just try to give the exe of your program.
If your program is named (for example) MyProgram, you probably start it in VB.NET by clicking on MyProgram.sln file. In the same location you should see a folder named MyProgram (the same name as your sln file), in it you should have another folder named bin, and in bin folder you should have Debug (and Release) folder. In this Debug (or Release) folder look for MyProgram.exe file.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back