Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compiling for a windows system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oobu

Programmer
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hey all,
I have written a C program on a UNIX system and I want to distribute it to a few friends that are running Windows. I assume that I have to compile for windows in a different manner. Can gcc do this or do I need to download a windows compiler? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest thing is to get dev-c++ which is a version of gcc for windows, with a nice IDE wrapped around it (same idea as visual c++).

Since it's gcc underneath, you shouldn't have too much trouble compiling the code if you've only used standard header files. If there's a lot of UNIX specific header files, then it will be a harder exercise.

If there's too much UNIX dependency in the code, and you don't fancy the porting exercise, then consider The downside here being you also have to distribute some DLLs with your program (with dev-c++, its just the executable).

--

Thanks a lot for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back