Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compile Prob w Recovery from Error Accessing File Netwk Conn. Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

irt

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
US
I am encountering a problem stemming from reconstructing a uSoft Access 2000 db per uSoft's Knowledge Base Article # 304548 after getting the message: "Error Accessing file, Network connection may have been lost". I am starting this new thread hoping to get an answer for myself and as a help to others with this problem desiring further help in this area.

After getting the "Error Accessing File..." message, I tried the fix offered by the knowledge base article, which identifies the problem as being associated with the presence of a DLL called Vbe6, version 6.3.91.8 and tells you to do the following on your computer only if it does NOT have this DLL: (a) copy the code behind each form, report or code module to text files, (b) save the forms/reports with the "Has Module:No" option, (c)make a new db, (d) import the now codeless items to it, (e)open the code window & restore the code via cut&paste from the text files, & save the items with the code, and if necessary re-create any modules using the text-file-saved code from them. After following these steps, I got a compile error: "User-defined type not defined", with the following VBA statement highlighted in yellow:

Code:
Global MyDB As Database, MySet As Recordset, MyWorkSpace as Workspace

(By the way: I did not change the "Has module" property to "Yes" after porting the code over. Could this have caused the compile error?)

Thinking that the text file format may have "confused" Access, I tried emptying the VB window and re-typing the above statement in the window directly, and noticed a very curious thing--Access has a "helper" drop-down list appearing after typing the keyword "As" in the VBA window; it lists all the types variable names can be assigned to, but the type "Database" is absent from the list! So is the type "Workspace", indicating that Access no longer recognizes these two data types--EVEN THOUGH PREVIOUSLY WORKING CODE CONTAINED THESE KEYWORDS BEFORE THE PROBLEM OCCURRED!.

This explains the compile error, but goes no farther. I tried re-entering the declarations module alone, which contained the above statement, & compiling it and got the same error. additionally, I can no longer export previously-working versions of the forms to the database where the trouble first occurred: after performing the export or import operation on the "bad" db, the form does not appear in the database's list of available forms.

Can someone Offer any Solution to this? specifics follow:

We are running Access 2000, all with SR-1 on a networked system--one server running Windows Server 2000 and three client machines, two running Windows 98 and one running Windows 2000 professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back